The Hair


 Telling the kids and John is the hardest part.   Trying to normalize and hold on to the good prognosis and lightening up the cancer word.  

Joy and Pail stopped by with a gorgeous cobalt blue or “Nana Conway blue” coach bag for me to use going to chemo.  It had a C hanging from the zipper line.  I said “c for cancer, crappy chemo” paul replied no. C for cure.    It reminded me of how Nana used to strut to and from church. Her daily pilgrimage up banks street to St Paul’s church.  Nothing got in her way.  I am going to strut right through this and now find myself saying “no nonsense miah”  

When Kate asked about my hair my response was “that’s the best part.”  We will go out with a bang.  And I am even looking forward to chemo curl   From the time I was little i would sleep in curlers and permed my hair from when I was 12 to 23 (til pregnancy) 







For five hours she labored over my head.  With the help from Liz we managed to get it all done and I have to say it looks and feels pretty good.  Patrick laughs and says won’t it be funny if you don’t even lose your hair.  









The final result is impressive for a kitchen hairdo.  


Update 

Hair lasted two weeks exactly from the first dose of chemo.   Found clumps in the shower, on the brush and when I ran my fingers gently through.  The shedding was so much that we shaved it to a #2 to prevent ingrown hairs. That advice came from online. 

Kids aren’t thrilled looking at it because I definitely resemble a chemo patient now.  Hard to hide it and the hats get so hot. But I wear them out to prevent any attention. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Radiation Journal

9 month scan

Two month scan