Movie Quest

 The 2021 quest to see as many academy award possibilities is going to be my next goal to push me through the next few weeks.   Only so many episodes of little house on the prairie can be watched before you start to go a little crazy.  Although I learned that the Up network has a mission of being uplifting.  This is where Little House and now watching Gilmore Girls with Kate started.   It’s definitely better to watch these shows than the rabbit holes I fall into.   Today’s included the movie Clouds.  On disney plus.  A real tear jerker.  Not sure you should be allowed to watch movies about teens with terminal cancer  while your head is bald from chemo but sometimes you can’t avoid it.  I’ve already seen a few about  moms and cancer but this was deeper. Especially where  Nora had sung the song Clouds in her 8th grade talent show   I do recommend however. It had a very positive theme about how life is short so make it sweet.  Don’t wait until you are dying to start living.  

On this part of the blog I am just going to start keeping track of the movies I have been watching.  I do this more for myself because I like to see how many of the academy award nominees I can see and hoping it keeps me watching a diverse group of movies.  

I use the Indie Wire to give me suggestions   There may be another place to look but it always gives lots of options and so many different genres to get ahead before the nominations come out    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indiewire.com/feature/2021-oscar-predictions-academy-awards-nominations-1202229886/amp/

Clouds-  on disney plus.  A tear jerker but well done. Highly emotional with good themes despite an obvious ending. 

Baby driver.   Loved this (not sure if it counts as 2021 because I think it was nominated last year.    Amazing story of a kid who overcame a lot.  Totally loved this one. 

On the rocks.   This had Bill Murray’s role as a dad.  Made everything an adventure but a bit of a conspiracy theorist.  Loved watching him with his daughter.  

Never Rarely Seldom Always-  realistic movie about a young girl from Pennsylvania who needs a second trimester termination.   Truly worth watching to understand how hard it is for someone to make a decision and how difficult the process can be for a young girl but also why it is so important for increased social services and assistance to keep kids from getting hurt.  

Seallow-  movie about a newly pregnant woman with POCA who starts swallowing dangerous objects.  Not sure how I felt about this one.  Bizzarro and disturbing but from an OB Nurse perspective it is so interesting to see what this disorder can do to someone and how it can impact the family.  

Recent watches

Peanut butter Falcon- loved it.  must see   Feel good story about a boy with Down syndrome and his quest for happiness  

The high note  

really enjoyed this movie  it was very positive and Dakota Johnson is so captivating   A movie about a personal assistant to an aging singer   A nice romantic twist and a good feel good movie   

Honey Boy   Didn’t realize this was an autobiography about the survival of a young boy with an unusual upbringing   Not sure how I felt about this one  


Muppet Movie  the new version

Patrick suggested watching it  what a feel good movie for any muppet fan   I love “life’s a happy song”  totally upbeat and comfortable  definitely made us happy’ 


To watch: 

Suggested by indie wire- there are more suggestions online for other categories and as movies get added this list could change  

BEST PICTURE

Frontrunners
“Da 5 Bloods” ✅
“The Father”
“Nomadland”
“One Night in Miami”
“The Trial of the Chicago 7” ✅

Contenders
“Hillbilly Elegy” ✅
“Mank” ✅
“News of the World”

Long Shots
“Ammonite”
“Minari”
“Never Rarely Sometimes Always” ✅ 
“On the Rocks”
“Tenet”



Comments

  1. Favorite binge watching show right now is Call the Midwife. Have one season left. It’s so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that show! Pretty sure I’m caught up unless there is a new season. I love guessing what’s wrong with the patients. My maternal grandmother was a lay midwife. It reminds me of what she may have been through

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Radiation Journal

9 month scan

Two month scan